Saturday, September 15, 2007

New job, new shoes, new outlook..

New job, anyway. I recently accepted a position as a service consultant with a company that manufactures and provides critical care equipment to area hospitals. I've got to say, it's turned out to be much more interesting than I had expected. I've been dividing my time between intensive product and procedural training classes, diassembling and sanitizing equipment at the warehouse, and popping in and out of ICU/CCU's to deliver and setup this equipment. It's enjoyable, lets me get out and about the lowcountry, and satisfies my inner "tinker demon". And, it feels good.. like I'm helping folks in a small way. Also.. profound respect for health care professionals.

On the other end of the emotional spectrum: lonely. I went to the grocery store today, and noticed that they've begun decorating for fall already. I snatched up a cinnamon broom for my wall (I'm a sucker for them), and the scent made me think of the holidays. Generally, that brings such a pleasant nostalgia.. but this year I felt anxious. And a bit empty. And I'm not ready for any holiday cheer. I suppose it's because of the relationship struggles my girlfriend and I have been having. Blech.

So, tonight I've got a pot of chili on, some Pink Martini (I love Sympathique), and a shiny new bottle of Nassau to help sanctify my soul. If I'm stuck with the melancholy, at least I can shoot for a pleasant state of melancholy. Also, upcoming travel plans to make.. I'm being sent to San Antonio for more training for work in a week.. two weeks in Texas! I've never been to any points west before, so I'm really looking forward to the trip.

No comments: