Sunday, July 10, 2011

Back from the dead.

Ok.. going to give this one more try. It's been upwards of three years since I last posted on here.. been a rough and tumble few years, but it's not been without it's high points and lessons learned.

-In early '09, I and a partner opened a "green" transportation company. A step up from a taxi, but not quite as luxury-focused as the Town Car set. It was definitely a learning process, and I made lots of mistakes.. luckily, they were all mistakes I didn't make again.

-In late '09, we ended up closing the company. I was offered a "partner" position with another local transportation company.. it didn't really turn out like that, but it did help me learn what to focus on. Where I was previously putting in 50-60 hours per week, I was now working upwards of 90, with a lot of increased focus on face-to-face marketing and promotion with the downtown hotels and businesses. It definitely served me well in building a client base.

-In July '10, I opened my second transportation company, this time with an increased focus on luxury. I started with a BEAUTIFUL Jaguar XJ8L.. the car made quite an impression on my clients, and was very popular. I found it surprisingly easy to keep my days filled with reservations and marketing work. Another year of 90 hour workweeks.. definitely kept me busy! Unfortunately, the Jaguar's continuous breakdowns ate up a good deal of the profits I realized.. and the business missed during the repairs ate up the rest. This brings me to today.

I have officially reached my "Fuckit Threshold". I closed up the limo biz as of last week, and the Jaguar is up for sale. Damn car is nearly brand new at this point, so it should make someone a lovely grocery go-getter. I'm moving out of the downtown apartment this month. Where to? One word for ya..

Liveaboard.



















I'm moving on board the Sea Witch, a 30' S2 sloop (actually it's a 9.2 meter.. measures out to 29'11"). I lived onboard an old Columbia 34' sloop several years back for a year, and loved every minute of it, so I'm really looking forward to getting into it again. There's a certain indescribable something to living on the water.. there's a beautiful liberation to the simplicity of it. No more shelves full of stuff, no more closets full of clothes that might get worn once a year. Sounds nice.

Anyway, I'm going to be renting the boat at first, while I save up to make the purchase official. After she's bought.. well, I dunno what I'm going to do. I've got a wander-demon in the back of my brain that's telling me the Keys aren't really that far away, and if I can pull off sailing to the Keys.. well, the next thing on the bucket list would be the Bahamas. I've got plenty of time to think about it.. and maybe make some plans. We'll see.


No comments: