Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Culinary nirvana!

Forget Halloween, yo. All those neighborhood candy fiends had to get their fix with my neighbors... I was at the opening of the Red Pepper Squirrel. I'm at home now, and I'm still visualizing the plus-sized serving of heaven that was on my plate tonight. Allow me to give you a brief rundown...

I met my friend Kristi out at the Squirrel for dinner. I'd have loved to have been able to chat with Beth all night, but she was husslin' her tail off in the kitchen, cooking for all the hungry townies. I had a couple of Yuengling drafts, Kristi jumped on a glass of Purple Rain MD 20/20. I wish I'd have had the testicular fortitude to order a glass... I'll work up to it eventually, but right now it brings up too many memories of teenage hangovers, and the less appetizing occurences that generally preceded said hangovers.

Kristi started with the garlicky cheesy spinach artichoke dip (I've had that before at Lil' Mama's, Beth and Seana's other restaurant. Gooood dip.) with toasted pita wedges, and I had the brushetta topped with tomatoes, fresh basil, roasted garlic, parmesan and balsamic vinaigrette. Excellent, excellent, excellent. Beth also brought us out some toast rounds covered in the most delicious pimiento cheese in the world, all melty and hot. For the main dish, I had a spinach and goat cheese ravioli in a fantastic roasted red pepper marinara; Kristi went with a huge steak quesadilla. Man alive, my ravioli got better with every single bite! That marinara had zing! I'm going to have a hard time not ordering it the next time I eat there.. there are so many other things on the menu I'd like to try!

I had such a great time out there... the restaurant is beautiful inside, thanks to the art work of a local graffiti artist. Such a fun, funky place. Congratulations, ladies! You've done a wonderful job with the Squirrel. I'm going to be thinking about tonight's meal for days to come...

1 comment:

jamie said...

That sounds awesome. Next time... photos, please!