Saturday, July 28, 2007

Ebony and ivory..


Sorta. Living in perfect harmony. All up in my front do'.



What I'm referring to is yet another invasion of widow spiders, both black widows and brown widows. The black widows are black, of course. The grown brown widows had these light tan backs with dark scribbles on them, like some sort of ancient scrimshaw. Anyway, I killed them. All of them, I hope. I only noticed a single spider at first, high up in the corner above my


door, but after going through this last year I knew that there were most likely more hiding out. Once I dosed my doorway with spider poison, they came scurrying out of the cracks and crevices of the wood trim. Five BIG fat adults, and six or eight immature ones.

Normally, I don't mind spiders so much. Even creepy ones like garden spiders(or banana, or "writing" spiders as we called them as kids).. I prefer to let them be. I even think the little fuzzy jumping spiders I see on occasion in my kitchen are cute. But widows.. something about their hunched, spindly appearance.. the way they hide so well in plain view.. the speed with which they do move when disturbed.. it just freaks me out. Sort of like a bunch of evil little befanas (yeah, I know she was a good witch, but she still scared the bejesus out of me when I was five) lurking around my cottage door. So, now I have to spray the rest of the house.

Feeling seriously nostalgic for the keys today. I've been sifting through some pictures I took when I lived there, and I surely do miss it. I need to plan a road trip. I need some Tiki time. Some Marley music and a deliciously touristy frozen pain-in-the-ass. With a 151 float. Hells, yeah.

No comments: