Sunday, September 30, 2007

You may all go to hell, and I'll go to Texas...



So sayeth Davy Crockett. So sayeth.. well, Davy Crockett. I admire the attitude.. sad thing is, all those politicians that Mr. Crockett so eloquently expressed that attitude for back in Tennessee were still alive and kicking after the King of the Wild Frontier lost his life to Santa Ana's men.

Believe it or not, I really enjoyed visiting the Alamo. I've had a great time getting out and about in San Antonio, and I'm a little sorry that I'm only going to be here another week. Classes have been interesting, if a bit grueling.. lots of technical minutae to memorize. I'm feeling that it's been well worth the trip at this point, even though the company is trying to feed us to death. I've never eaten so much over the course of seven days in my life. I think I've put on ten pounds since I got here!

I went out tonight to La Hacienda de Los Barrios.. my friends
Jamie and Maggie had both said that they'd read about the puffy tacos the restaurant is famous for and suggested I poke my head in for a taste. Good call, y'all.. they don't look like much, but those were damn good. Everything I had there was, as a matter of fact.. so good that I'm going back for more before the week's out.



The only thing I'm bummed about so far is missing out on some really neat local Dio De Los Muertos art work.. I passed up the purchase in hopes of finding a larger/less expensive selection elsewhere in the town. I'm hoping I can get back out for another chance to buy some before I have to head home. I'm missing family and friends, and looking forward to getting back to Carolina.. but since I'm down here for a few more days yet, y'all may go to hell.. I'll keep eating in Texas!

No comments: